How to Create an Outdoor Living Space: Ideas and Inspiration. (Home Staging and Redesign Minneapolis, MN)
In my personal opinion outdoor square footage is as valuable as the indoor square footage in the Spring, Summer and Fall. It is a space so valuable to me I can’t imagine not making it as cozy as a room in my home.
When you go to sell your house of course it is not “counted” as square footage but can it add value in the buyer’s eyes? Absolutely. They see it as another living space already done for them and most people love the outdoors, especially for entertaining.
So how do you create one? Here’s what I did……….…
1) Find comfortable furniture. This is key. If the furniture makes your back side sore after a short period of time you won’t spend any time there and you’ll be heading inside for the comfy furniture.
2) Color. Who doesn’t love color outside. It is all around you in nature and why not add it to your outdoor living space. Multi-colored pillows is a quick fix and of course the easiest way to create color is flowers. Flowers, flowers, and more flowers in my opinion. And don’t be shy with the throw pillows. Flowers come in multiple colors so use multiple colored pillows as well.
3) Lighting. This sets the mood as well as extends the hours of enjoyment in your space. As the sun slowly sets a couple lights turned on in your space create atmosphere and warmth. You’ll find yourself lingering over a game or curled up with a book long after the sun has gone down. Or, if you are like my husband, we now have a TV cable outside and watching baseball lying on the outdoor sofa at night is almost better than being at the game.
4) Water Feature. This brings tranquility. Who doesn’t love hearing the soft sound of water in the background. I made my water feature a personal one, a St. Bernard drinking from a fountain. It looks just like one of my St. Bernards and now that he has passed away I bring out my ‘Roby’ fountain every Spring and think of him.
5) Incorporate Flea Market Finds. Not only will they save you money they add character and charm as well. Here a flea market table is one of my favorite things on the patio. A flea market wood crate that holds flowers adds extra color. An old wood bench can make a great coffee table or put a few colorful pillows on it for additional seating.
6) A St. Bernard. Oh, just kidding…….just passing through. LOL
7) And if you have the space, a small bistro table in the sunshine to enjoy the morning paper with a cup of coffee.
I hope these ideas inspire you to create an outdoor living space or jazz up the one you already have. Spring is finally here in the North so get out and enjoy!
If you would like assistance with your outdoor space Rooms With Style would be happy to help.
Follow us on Facebook!